Friday, February 10, 2012

That Awkward Moment When...

December 21, 2011
“Oh no problem Mrs. Ides! I don’t mind feeding your cats at all.” I said as my neighbor from down the street handed me the keys to her house. Every time she and her husband go away I take care of their cats for them. It’s just twice a day and only takes about ten minutes. It’s super easy plus they pay great!
“Thank you so much! We’re to some place that’s very insignificant because this moment became too awkward for me to remember. We’re leaving Friday morning and we’ll be back Sunday night. Thank you again!” Mrs. Ides responded, starting to walk away from my front door.
“No problem.” I said about to shut the door when I suddenly remembered ... “ Oh, merry Christmas!” I yelled to her with a big smile.
She gave me a gracious smile and nodded her head. “Merry Christmas to you, too Sam.” She said as she walked away.
My face went blank and I slammed the door shut as I realized what just happened.
That awkward moment when you wish the only Jewish person in your neighborhood a merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment